VS 2008 Download w/out XCeed

Jan 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I am presently reading your book and only have Visual Studio 2008.

Is there a download of the final code that is .NET 3.5 but does not include XCeed?

Coordinator
Jan 5, 2012 at 2:27 PM

No, only the latest version of the code using VS 2010 excludes XCeeed.  You should be able to get Visual Studio Express 2010 for free and use that.

Jan 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the response.

Two things:

1. I looked into VS 2010 Express and it will not allow you load more than one Project. I am trying to follow along with the complete solution.

2. After reading some of the other posts, I take it that there is a WPF datagrid in 4.0 (but not in 3.5) that made the move away from XCeed possible.

As for 2, Is there some way to modify the 3.5 to run without XCeed? When I try to run the solution in VS 2008, I get errors for all the XCeed datagrids -- a quick search tells me that there is no datagrid to be had in WPF 3.5 (which is why you used XCeed to begin with ;) ).

As for 1, I'll look again tonight to see if I missed something with VS 2010 Express. I'm assuming you have heard from people who have used Express with your complete solution?

Thanks again,

Joe

Coordinator
Jan 6, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Hi Joe,

I was not aware the VS Express did not allow loading of solutions with more than one project.  That seems odd to me.  I am assuming you tried to open the solution (.sln) file, correct?  That should load all of the projects for you.

I actually do not know anyone who uses express, all of my friends use the licensed VS product.  

Yes, that is correct, there is a WPF datagrid control in .NET 4.0 but not .NET 3.5.  When I originally wrote the book, XCeed's datagrid was free, and that's why I used it.  You definitely need to run this in 4.0 now unless you can get a free version of XCeed's datagrid.

Tim